Thursday, August 18, 2011

Holding, but that's OK for now!

Getting smaller!
Just trying to figure out how to take a picture!
OK, so I am having a pity party for myself today.  I will try and make my party short:(  I spent 3 hours at The Olive Garden with my 85 year old German friend last night. She inspires me so much, she looks so good, and I wonder if I waited to long to eat healthier? She has always maintained her weight, exercised and eats really healthy. She is really, really sharp and fit. I hope and pray I am just like her. So here is my pity party. I will never look like I looked 5 years ago, even 3 years ago. I am a "young" minded 54 year old woman. I like fun clothes and styles, I like young things like Zumba, I like having a fun, I have spontaneous personality, and I LOVE to laugh and make others laugh....but I will never have the "young" body that I crave. I had my daughter take a picture of me after Zumba yesterday and what the camera showed, made me really sad. As you can see in these pictures I have really come a long way compared to where I was, but I will never have young firm skin again. The pictures that she took, which I deleted, showed a lot of bubbles (cellulite) in my upper arms. I have just started wearing sleeveless things again, so the picture was really disconcerting.  I can either give up, feel sorry for myself, quit wearing sleeveless tops, continue my pity party, or.....put on my sleeveless top and go to lunch with my friend. I put on the sleeveless top and went to lunch with my friend!
If it is all about how I look on the outside, I will never be happy, so I have to accept that it is about so much more. Short of surgery to lift my entire body, this is it. This is what I have to work with. I will accept it, cherish it, feed it, enjoy it, be proud of it, the best that I can. My friend said "Oh my gosh you are so skinny". I could have kissed her right there in the parking lot! She is 62 and looks amazing. She lost over 30 lbs on WW several years ago and has kept most of it off. We have twin Mercedes which is kind of fun when we meet places. It was good I was meeting her today because she totally gets it!
I have some more thoughts that I want to share. I have by no means been perfect on the BFC. I have been the best that I can be, without totally changing everything that I eat. I have chosen to keep some things in that I shouldn't, I have continued to drink diet soda on occasion, I have eaten more white bread rolls (on the french dips that I eat) than I should, I still eat french fries and chips on occasion, I eat cherries and banana's sometimes, I eat what I have always eaten at the restaurants that we go to....BUT and this is a BIG BUT...I eat the BFC way at least 80 % of the time and I eat so much less of all of the things I used to eat. I do not eat any sugar treats, I have still only had the 6 bites of cookies. I eat spinach several days a week now. That is huge since I had never even tasted spinach before. I am aware, but I am not vigilant. Sugar I can live without, the carbs are a little tougher. So what am I getting at here? I am not perfect, will never be, and I guess I am OK with that! I am so proud of my ability to make better food choices, I am proud of the 23 lbs that I have lost, and I will continue to eat this way the rest of my life. If I do add more sweets in at some point, I will jump back on the wagon afterwards. I can do this! I don't know if I can lose another 8 lbs, I don't know if at this point I want to work hard enough to lose it.  My goal from the beginning was to get to 135 lbs. I am staying between 141-143. Painlessly staying at that weight. That's OK. I eat out way too much to drastically change things. So, this is what it is. I will be ECSTATIC if I lose more weight, but I am not going to change more than I have. Good, bad or ugly...this is it. I want to lose more inches, and that will come with increasing my muscle mass. That is what my goal is going to be. I need to put more time in at the gym. If I continue to lose because I am making good choices, I will be happy. Very happy:)
We are all in this lifestyle together, it feels so good to have company!!!
Blessings and happy scales!


8 comments:

  1. Kay you are making me cry the way you are talking about yourself. I have felt so bad about myself and it took some time to try to stop.
    YOU Look so GREAT and don't you doubt that for a minute. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!! So you have bumpy arms and I have bumpy thighs - so what?? Look at what you DID accomplish.
    We are not all perfect and we have to love us just the way we are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay, if I looked like you look right now I would be the one that would be ecstatic! I know what you mean though about the mirror or seeing yourself in pictures. I think we always feel so young and vibrant on the inside, just like we did when we were 30 or 25. Then when we catch ourselves in a mirror or a photo we are surprised and a little shocked to not see our younger self looking back at us because it doesn't match how we feel inside! We forget we are still aging little by little no matter what. I guess anyone that is not a little surprised or shocked when they see themselves at our age, already feels old on the inside - and isn't that worse?! For the record however, I think you look as vibrant and beautiful on the outside as you seem to be on the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.G. Kay - do you see how SKINNY you look! On my computer your skinny you is side by side with your 170 pound you and the change is AMAZING! You should be so proud! wOw!You really have done it! I am so glad you wore your sleeveless top when you went out. You are smokin'! I'm so glad you are happy where you are at. I don't know how much farther I can go, either. I know I need to tone up more, and that's the gym, not more weight. So we're in the same place. :)

    And, really, this is what the low sugar way of eating is all about - eating what you love and staying healthy. Yay!

    You have sent me quite a few yummy things to try out. I have GOT to make that blueberry thing from the Thin Lady Sings - I think even my family would eat that. LOL.

    And the Ooopsie cake is good, but not sweet really, just fluffy. I usually do just eat smaller portions of the good stuff - that's been my MO for most of my weight loss journey, so there's nothing wrong with that - I've just been feeling the need to bake goodies lately, and since I'm not eating wheat, I have to find substitutes. Interestingly enough, none of the gluten free goodies in the stores are low enough in sugar. Bah. I will have to knock it off soon, though, once school starts. I won't have time to bake as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay~
    My goodnes girl...you look amazing! I hope when I am in my 50s (which arent too far away) that I will look like you! YOu are GORGEOUS!!! Love yourself where you are and remember, God doesnt make junk! And BTW, you are rockin that sleeveless cami! Keep on wearing em!
    Love & hugs!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are beautiful Kay and you look amazing. It doesn't matter how much we weigh there will always be something we don't like in the mirror. I just noticed the other day I am getting spider veins on my thighs and wrinkles around my eyes, I don't like it but I am trying not to let it get me down.

    Try to be kind to yourself and don't focus on the minor things that you don't like, I'm sure others don't even notice. When I look at your pics all I see is a great looking woman. Continue to wear cami's and sleeveless shirts and know that you look good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Kay, you may not like your arms, but your boobs look great! You're not looking at what looks good on your body, only focusing on what you don't like. It's a habit I have too. I think you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just showed hubby your pics and he says he you look really good and younger since you lost the weight. He is very supportive and encouraging of all us bfc'ers, and he wouldn't say anything if he didn't mean it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. agreed Kay! You do look younger & just seeing your photos is inspiring me to want to try the BFC again for a week & see what happens. I am getting frustrated as I gained 2# this week. :(
    Whether you lose more or stay the same, know that you REALLY do look great my friend!!

    ReplyDelete