Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Some unasked for advice.....

I posted this earlier on another post, but I wanted to post it for people that may read my blog. (BELOW)I am NO expert and I certainly have NOT figured out the "be all, end all", of this healthy weight world, but I do think that at some point we just have to relax and do what we know it our heart of hearts to do. I don't think anyone really believes that no matter what combination of foods you eat, you can eat 1000's of extra calories a day and still lose weight. Anyone??? Calories do matter because if they didn't, you could eat 15/6 a day until you literally disappeared! That's not going to happen. The more you weigh, the more calories a day that your body burns during it's normal day. That's why in WW the people that need to lose more weight have more "points" available to them when they first start out. The points or calories,decrease as you lose according again, to what your body requires to lose weight. When I am doing myfitnesspal religiously, I can see why my weight starts to creep up. I am eating too much. Whether it is a combination of carbs, fats, sugar etc. the calories are increasing, the activity is decreasing and I gain. Do I think "just exercise" will make me lose? No...but I don't think you can ever exercise enough to overcome bad eating. I want to do a combination that works for me, that I can do not only when I am 55, but when I am 85. I don't want to battle this battle until the end of time....my time at least. I feel for the people on the biggest loser etc. It is simply not realistic for them to work out 8+ hours a day for the rest of their lives. Hopefully most of them find a balance of food vs activity when they get home. Maintaining is HARD work and not for the weak of heart. That's why I think Rosalie is such an awesome example, she found what worked for her, that she can faithfully do for the rest of her life....She is a smart woman!
Here is my response to a search for answers, I was kind of thinking it was a good answer, so I thought I would share.


I thought of this verse after reading your post, and then found a page that kind of explains the verse:
http://www.gotquestions.org/fearfully-wonderfully-made.html Psalm 139:14

Again I praise you for striving to find answers, I just hope that your answers aren't making you more confused. I have mentioned before that I have a close friend who has her masters in nutrition and is a certified trainer for marathon athletes. She is continually going to school and learning new and different view points on many things. She does not agree with me on fruit based sugars, does not think that our body processes them the same as sugar/sugar, but on most other things I value her opinion. I can tell you at 55 years old and probably 30 years of schooling, she does not think wheat is the reason for obesity, nor does she steer clear of it. On the contrary, she imposes her love of it, by the food that she serves. She is extremely fit, more than I have a desire to be, and I do not see much fat of any kind on her body. 
I have also mentioned before that I take thyroid meds and have for about 15 years. I lost a total of 5 lbs once I went on the medication. I felt way better, my skin wasn't dry, my hair wasn't falling out, I wasn't dead tired all the time, but I did not lose a massive amount of weight. I recently starting taking estrogen for a female issue and again, no notice of weight loss, but I did not gain that much in my 3 months of inactivity. 
I don't remember if you do myfitnesspal or not? I think it is a HUGE help to those of us that think we are doing pretty "Ok" in our food and then find out at the end of the day we have eaten over 2500 calories and didn't even record exact amounts. I believe calories do matter, at least in the fact that you have to have a deficit to lose weight. 
I continually blame sugar for my weight issues, but it isn't just sugar, it was too much sugar. Like I said before it isn't just carbs, it is too many carbs. There are definitely things that some of us should not eat, but if we plan to inhabit this earth with all of the choices that are out there, we have to make it as easy as possible to live. To make good choices every day. 
That's my sermon and I hope you take it with the care and friendship that it was meant to have. 

That's my thoughts for the day, I would love to hear comments back. I know I have a lot to learn!

6 comments:

  1. Gary Taubes ended his last blog post with these words, "Yes, I believe that calories are a useful measure of the energy contained in the foods we consume and a useful measure of the energy our bodies expend. (Just as I believe miles are a useful measure of how far I have to travel to get, say, from Oakland to Los Angeles.) Yes, I believe in the laws of thermodynamics and I believe, as I say in both my books, they always hold true. That’s why we call them laws. But, no, I do not believe that we can learn anything useful about why people get fat or why they get the diseases that associate with getting fat, by focusing on the calories they consume and expend. It’s not about the calories."

    They matter I'm just not convinced they matter as we've always been told (if you eat 2,000 calories but you only burn 1,500 calories then you will store 500). To your point, the body is too complex for calories to be so simple.

    In Dr. Lustig's book (Fat Chance) I already finished his chapter, "A Calorie Is a Calorie: or Is It?" At the end he states, "A calorie is not a calorie. Rather, perhaps the dogma should be restated thus: a calorie burned is a calorie burned, but a calorie eaten is not a calorie eaten. And therein lies the key to understanding the obesity pandemic. The quality of what we eat determines the quantity. It also determines our desire to burn it. ..." Of course there is a lot more info to go with this statement but this is how he sums up the chapter.

    And I am using MyFitnessPal again to track but more to make sure my darn carbs are staying lower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew Kay. I'm beginning to think, for me, it IS the carbs that matter most. I've been walking a lot more the past couple weeks, thanks to my son being home for break and forcing me, and I've actually gained a pound. I do think the exercise helps your heart and lungs stay healthy and tones you, so it is a good thing. Still trying to figure it all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Kay. I do think that calories matter and I watch my calories but don't count them. I am very lucky that I did find what I CAN do forever. Like you say - it is DOABLE for me.
    I love the way I eat and I feel carbs matter but we have to eat the healthy carbs not the processed JUNK we have in the past. For me, just like you I can never give up my carbs.
    Maintaining is just a silly word - I just eat HEALTHY now forever, that's all.
    Love you - have a great day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!! OMG you just said all that I've been thinking. I was going to do a blog post on this today. I am reading so many blogs, so many points of view, so many people swearing one thing over the other works best. I have to write about this, but you put it so clearly!!! I am going to quote you in my next post. It's so simple...you have to figure out what works for you. We are all different, so there is not a one size fits all answer!!!! Love you and love this post today!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost wish I had never read how bad wheat is because I find I now feel guilty eating the BFC way! It's driving me crazy, and I agree with this post. Just seems like every health ailment can be put to rest with no wheat but I can't cut out both, I know I can't do that forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Kay! I always respect your view and your words of wisdom. I think your a super smart woman! Always practical and right on. Hate being so out of touch with the BFC blogs since this year as been crazy (two oldest kids in school and the youngest three still at home being homeschooled) - but I ALWAYS look forward to reading your posts. Kim :)

    ReplyDelete