Saturday, May 19, 2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

My prize dress:)
My Dad's book
My greatest treasure:)
Thank you to everyone for your kind words yesterday. I was so stunned, and had to share with someone. I am happy to report good news today! I got the dress I had asked my mom for (she chose not to give it to me), it cost me 10.00 because it was considered "vintage". I had worn it in my senior follies in H.S. I can't believe looking at it, that I EVER fit in it. I found one of my Dad's text books with his actual hand written notes inside! That made me cry big time when I got it home. I also put a bid on my mom's extensive collection of Niko's Christmas china for my daughter, and I won!!! So now I have a treasure to give her someday. It is a serving for 12 with every serving piece you could imagine. I am HAPPY!!! I can pass something down! My oldest son also went there today and bought all of my mom's original art that she had painted. I was touched by that, that he would want it. They also bought a mirror that I almost bought yesterday, and some miscellaneous Christmas decorations that he remembered. Realistically we had only been at my mom's for Christmas and Halloween for many years. She couldn't afford to feed all of us was her excuse, even though we always bring things. He also brought me some things that I missed yesterday that had my kids pictures in them. She had left them behind! I'm sure the estate guy was wondering what kind of family we had, with not even knowing about the sale! Did I mention that I had gone to college with him and I think deep down he knew how important the China was to me and my bid won? Maybe that isn't true, but I think he understood my feelings yesterday. So today is a happy, happy day! I also gave my son and daughter in law several of the things that we didn't sell in our garage sale that they decided to take. I think they may sell them at their garage sale, but I gave them to them. I did not charge them money!!!
My Dad had his doctorate in Philosophy and was a student teacher supervisor for a local state university. He was only 49 when he died of colon cancer. He touched a lot of lives in a short amount of time and I miss him every day!
So...have a wonderful weekend! Thank you for letting me share:)
I am off to another wedding shower for my school friends daughter. I am going with one of my favorite friends, so it will be a good day!
Woot!!!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Kay, you're a bigger person than me. I don't think I'd even want to pass anything on to my children if my mother were that way.

    Weirdly, when my grandmother passed away from pancreatic cancer(the month before my wedding) I was asked what I wanted of hers - I chose her dining furniture and a few small items that reminded me of her. I asked if I could have the chandelier that went with the dining set and was told (by my mom) that I'd have to pay for the $60 replacement fixture that had to be purchased before they put her house on the market. My husband and I still joke about it. I paid it and funny thing is, while I've enjoyed her furniture, I have never hung that chandelier. I still have it boxed up downstairs.

    Anyway ... people are funny aren't they?? Glad you walked away happy regardless of the unusual circumstances. I've also learned to be much happier by lowering my expectations of others. I realized I would get mad when they didn't behave like I thought they should (especially my mom). Now I say, "weird but whatever!" It's healthier that way. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so good to hear you in good spirits after yesterday. I'm glad to ended up with a few things that mean a lot to you. Have you tried the dress on? Does it fit? I bet it fits you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that everything worked out and you got the stuff you wanted, even if you had to pay - it wasn't that much.
    Have a great rest of the weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay I am glad that you were able to get some of the things that you wanted. It's so strange that your mother would rather sell those things than to give them away to her family. Have a wonderful sunny day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm glad it's a better day and you now have keepsakes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet it fits you , too. Glad you are feeling better. Have a great rest of the weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 'Treasure' Day to you. And your Dad's book is just so sweet. I'm sure you do miss him.
    Take Care-
    ...yep, the dress does look like it will fit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad it worked out in the end... but you know it only worked out because you have a great attitude! It took a big person to put all that aside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...waiting to see a picture of you in that dress... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh you are a good person to go to that sale and buy stuff. So glad you got the personal items that meant so much to you. I LOVE that dress!

    ReplyDelete