| 24 inches! |
| About 30 inch bust? |
Minichick's blog made me think, (scary) and my true opinion is that kids are simply too sedentary. Not enough recess, not enough outside play, not enough walking blocks/miles to your friends house. When I was young I would leave with a packed lunch in the morning and come home "before dark". We could never let our children do that now, it would be too dangerous. I also shared how I know of families that "do" buy sugar cereal or treats for their kids to be eaten out of house and home by kids that come over to play just to eat treats! Are they wrong to let the kids eat them? Have you ever told anyone visiting that they can't have something? We can't expect other's to police our children! We have to give them tools and knowledge. When kids are told no, if there is a will, there is a way, unless you have total control over them 24 hours a day. Home schooling I know you would have more control, but there is a big- big world out there. We always want what we can't have. There has to be balance!
On that note, maybe it is good that I have a 55 year old bladder and drink tons of water! I walk 10,000 steps a day to go potty:)
I am open to your thoughts on this, I am actually curious if you think I am way off the mark?
| It's home, where it will be used! |
My husband is the BEST, because as much as I wanted the table, my first reaction was to say no. He supported me in deciding to say yes. He's a great guy:) And he puts up with me and my "yes" "no" that constantly runs in my head. Decisions are difficult for me! Ugh!!! AGE?
So happy day! On the BFC front, I feel powerful! I have this! I will stay here! I eat spinach!!! Who would have thought???
Blessings and happy scales!
Oh Kay, that is so wonderful that you got those things. I can't believe your mom wouldn't give you some things, at least the dress! Oh, well, who knows how our minds change as we get older. You have the things you wanted, and that's what counts. I do agree with you about the kids and exercise and also I agree about the sugary stuff. I buy it for my neice and nephew because they are allowed to have it. I disagree, but don't feel I can push too hard in light of what has happened in their lives. I am there to help and i gently guide, but I can't push too hard about the sugar. I can't even really write about it, because family members read my blog. I know better now,and I want to educate them as to what I know. I feel my hands are tied.I am fearful as to what will happen to the youth of our nation, as the bad eating and lack of exercising is getting our of control. Sending love and hugs.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about the dress; it would have been fun to see you in it! I'm so glad you ended up getting the table set, it's beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI think you are right about kids exercising, but not in the way you are speaking about it. I think exercise is really important to our health, but it has less to do with weight than food. From my experience over the years I've seen many people, including myself, who lost weight with very little exercise for the most part. I exercise some, but not much and not consistently. Most of my weight has been lost because of my eating. I've seen this with so many other people as well.
I've also seen people who exercise like crazy and can't lose a pound. I had a neighbor once who ran long distances every day and he was so frustrated that no matter how much he ran he could not lose one pound. And then there are those examples, like Dawn and Emthe, where in one family, with the same environmental factor, one child is slim and one child is chubby. I've seen that happen a lot. So, obviously hormones play a huge part, and that all starts with what we put in our mouth to begin with(did you watch The Skinny on Obesity?). But, on the other hand, I have seen and heard, that eating is for weight loss and exercise is for keeping the weight off (and getting you in shape), and I agree with that because that's what I've seen more than any other scenario.
I also think that exercise (keeping busy) indirectly helps with weight because the busier you are, the less likely you are to snack, etc. because you're not thinking about food as much and you're too busy to eat. So, I do think exercise is helpful, but just not in the way that most people think.
I was talking about exercise in children, not adults. I will say though that the gal on The View(all about fat) yesterday said that it is about muscle mass in women, vs fat mass. Muscle simply burns more calories in a given day. The more muscle the more calories. Another reason that women think that they gain weight as they get older/they lose muscle mass as they get older. I haven't done Zumba in a week, so exercise isn't the reason I lost weight, but I believe muscle mass is part of the reason that I keep it off. For children, its about activity, not exercise. Activity, movement, run, play, move, not sit. I will be curious to see if in the households you speak of if the thin child is more active. Plays harder, sits less. Some kids are just hardwired to be on the move, they are generally thin.
DeleteWho knows. I guess it all just depends on many factors. I do agree though that muscle burns more calories.
DeleteI want to add in here that my thin kid is constantly in motion (for example, he stands up! while playing video games) while my chubby guy is more content to sit down and make art or stuff like that. It's not even a matter of going outside or sports at this point, as they both do that kind of stuff equally. I think my thin guy has a higher fidget rate, if that makes sense. They do both have different food tastes, too, though, and my chubby one would eat until he was sick. Not so for my other.
DeleteIt's so variable. You have kids like your youngest son who's fidgety and thin and then there are kids who are book worms, sit a lot type without fidgeting, kind of kids who are thin. Genetics play a huge role in how the body uses carbs/sugar, just like all those videos we've all been watching speak about. That's why I still think it comes down to what and how we eat that has the biggest impact on our weight.
DeleteKay, I feel like I need to clarify my point to make sure there's no confusion about what I'm saying.
DeleteI'm not saying that exercise won't help one lose weight, but I don't think that's the most important aspect of weight loss. My reasoning is that if someone's diet is not what it should be that can keep them from losing weight not matter how much they exercise (the example I gave of my neighbor that was a runner). But, if a person's diet is in sync with their genetic threshold for carbs, especially sugar, THEN exercise can help them lose weight. What they put in their mouth is still the most important determining factor as to whether or not they lose weight, and whether or not exercise will aid in that. Does that make more sense?
Here's a great blog article that explains why the calories in, calories out is more complex than we realize. So much has to do with what types of calories we're eating, and what our body is doing with those calories. I think you'll enjoy it.
Deletehttp://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2012/05/24/carbs-calories-and-cruise-sized-meals/
Our actions speak very clearly, so being a good example will teach...just my sugar opinion.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to get a piece of your family history-it's a lovely table. And you have all those memories to hold onto.
...29" waist... :)
I love how the table looks in your dining room and that you'll be able to continue the tradition of sharing Christmas dinner at it. It was meant to be yours!!
ReplyDeleteI know as a child, we were outside most of the time playing with our friends. But on the food front, my parents always kept packaged cookies, ice cream, and goodies in the house. ALWAYS and there was no limit as to how much we could eat. My dad LOVES to snack on these items every night....even to this day. It is nothing for him to eat an entire package of cookies or 6-8 regular size peanut butter cups each night. I had to learn eating in moderation for the first time when I went away to college - and it was hard. I gained a lot of weight and then had to work really hard to get it back off. My parents have a house next door to us and will be here tomorrow for a few weeks. I always have to feel really strong with my eating when they come so I can stay away from their cupboards (But I love them dearly and can't wait to see them - junk food or not)!!! It's funny because my mom started the BFC when I did and she has kept her weight to the low 130's but my dad starts and stops it all the time.
I buy very few pacakged treats but I've never made them off limits. Mostly it's just too costly since 5 kids can eat an entire package of cookies in 1 day. I will make cookies for them and we will have ice cream a few times a month. When they want something sweet, and there's nothing else to chose from, they will eat my almond butter with Redi-Whip or mix dark chocolate chips with peanut butter. What I have noticed is that they do not like when I tell them they only need 1 brownie or cupcake... Not sure exactly how to teach moderation. For example, this weekend my family wanted smores so we had them (I didn't but they did) and my kids begged to have 2 and even 3. When they go to a potluck, buffet, or someone else's house they always go for the sweets first and then keep going back for more.
Next year my oldest will be attending 10th grade outside the home and possibly even my 6th grader so I hope they will make good food choices. Really wanting to pick up the French Kids Don't Get Fat book that Minichick recommended. I think my kids are "eating until they are stuft" which they learned from me before I started eating the BFC way. Hoping it's not too late to turn things around. Thank God they are active kids -I'm hoping that won't change too much when the older two go to school this fall. A lot to think about- Thanks to you and Minichick for posting on the subject.
Correction... I meant the "French Kids Eat Everything" book :)
DeleteKim, with my 4 kids and at one time 7 kids in the home, 1 pack of cookies was gone the minute it was opened! But I didn't ban them, so they didn't think they were "bad". They just knew they were gone! Again I think it is about activity, not telling them no, and buying good foods for the most part.
DeleteJust my humble opinion:) It would be normal that they would want to over do the smores...they are like a once a year special treat!
Kay - the table looks great in your house.
ReplyDeleteThe dress must be made of quality fabric. It looks like it's in great condition.
I agree with Pattie about the mind and getting older.
Looks like you are happy with your weigh in! Woohoo!
Wow that dress is small - too bad. Maybe you know someone that it will fit. I'm glad you got the table and I hope you didn't pay too much.
ReplyDeleteWhen we were little we stayed out till it was dark too. We just stood on the sidewalk and yelled real loud to get them home. Ha-Ha.
Have a great day :-)
The table is beautiful! You are a great daughter to just let it pass. Is she suffering from dementia maybe? Sometimes it comes out so different than we expect it too. Its not clear cut and comes out very mean. I don't know of course, but something to think about.
ReplyDeleteI wasnt allowed candy when I was young, so it made me rebel when I got older. I actually would binge when my parents were at work and that led to an eating disorder of bingeing and then over exercising. I guess allowing the food and then making exercise fun is the way to go. My kids eat their treats everyday, but also realize that we need fruits and veggies to make our bodies grow (in the right direction) and to protect us from illness and cancer. Thank God they love to move and play sports, too :) Just my experience, though.
ReplyDeleteCarey
I guess it depends on whether you believe (as Dr. Lustig says) that sugar is toxic. It's kind of like giving your kids alcohol because you don't want to deprive them. The reality is, there is very new evidence coming out about sugar and its affects - it's not just about weight. I read an article yesterday by Dr. Hyman that describes 5 year olds with sclerosis of the liver caused by soda consumption ... that's a big wow! Don't get me wrong, my kids (6 and 9) do get "limited" treats (and always have) but it's getting harder for me to decide what to give them now that I know all this information. If you want to read more, http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/sugar-babies-how-to-stop-the-genocide-of-our-children.
ReplyDeleteI'm guessing a lot of that is because of the high fructose corn syrup in soda. Fructose is processed by the liver, and too much, can cause disease of the liver, much like excess alcohol actually.
DeleteSince table sugar also contains fructose (similar levels to HFCS), Dr. Lustig says they are both equally bad. I find it shocking that any parent would give a small child enough soda to cause fatty liver and sclerosis.
Deleteclearly I meant cirrhosis of the liver :)
DeleteI guess that is the beauty of free will. We can personally decide how to eat or how to feed our children. Knowledge is power, but 10 different Dr.'s may tell you 10 different things. It is up to us to decide what we believe is right.
ReplyDelete