Saturday, June 23, 2012

Aging gracefully:)

My Dad had a best friend named Tracy. Tracy almost died  20+ years ago when a tractor rolled over on him. He said that my Dad came to him (as an Angel)  and told him it was not his time yet, and it wasn't, he lived! Fast forward 20+ years and we ran into Tracy and his grandkids last night. I love to see him because he looked very much like my Dad and they were often mistaken for each other. So much so that his wife joked she could have had an affair with my Dad because people would have assumed she was with Tracy. Needless to say it gives me an idea of what my Dad would have looked like if he had made it past 49 years of age. They were excited to share with me that they had just discovered that their sister in law was buried right near my Dad. They said they often left flowers there for him. I am the only one that visits the cemetery and I am always saddened that his grave sits there empty. It felt good to know that they think of him too. He also was so sweet to say that I had aged "gracefully". It made my whole night:) Tracy's daughter married a man that had my Dad as his master teacher. He was also there. After we left I just wished I had picked his brain about my Dad and what he had learned from him. Hindsight:( It was just so good to see them that my brain wasn't working. Age!
Thursday we went to see Rock of Ages. Now I am not a rock and roll fan, I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't like the movie. I give big kudos to Tom Cruise/amazing, Julianne Hough/beautiful, and Russell Brand/hilarious,  but the the movie? We were the only ones there so I didn't turn my phone off. My Taryn texted and asked if we wanted her to bring over the movie Thor so we could watch it together. My Taryn offered to spend time with us? Wow!!! So of course I said yes, would love to. She brought Thor and Captain America, loved both, and we watched the movies together and laughed and visited for over 4 hours. This is huge!!! Taryn is a tough one to connect with. The best part of all? My husband sat with us and watched both movies. He is always doing his own thing and rarely spends that much time away from chores or getting things done. I think in her way, this was her way of saying Happy Father's day, and it was amazing. I made breakfast burritos for dinner, which were quite tasty, and we had a great evening. I felt HAPPY!!!
I just want to have a relationship with her, like my other 3 kids. Maybe we are getting there?:) It has obviously helped tremendously that she does not live with us.
Today is my grandson's actual birthday party. It will be a lot of fun. I got him Thor's hammer and helmet. He is also getting a certificate for "Cy's day" which is a day spent with us and 20.00 to spend on whatever he wants. That will be fun.
If you haven't see the Avengers, Thor, Captain America, Iron Man (favorite) you just must!
I may be a couple of lbs heavier, but I am sure happier! I also got the blood work back that my kidneys are back to almost regular function! Woot!!! When I hurt my back awhile ago I took too much ibuprofen and it screws up my kidney function. 2 sets of blood work later, and I am back to as normal as I can be!
Have a wonderful weekend:)
Blessings and feeling Blessed! K

5 comments:

  1. Good news on all sides of life. :) Have a fun day with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice story about your dad's friend. I enjoyed all those movies you are talking about. Couldn't get myself to see rock of ages though, I didn't think I would like it either. Maybe later.
    Enjoy your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your day was great, and I'm glad your kidneys are better now, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm late getting to your blog! Hope your grandson had a great birthday. What a cute present! We saw the Avengers over here and all like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey.. how did I miss this post? I think it was when I was super busy with the play this weekend and then I took my little computer fast...

    Anyways, your post made me smile... Sometimes we can get so caught up in the weight-loss issue that we forget that our life is multi-fauceted and there are lots of other things to celebrate as well. A nice compliment (which I'm sure was well deserved), a good time spent with your daughter, a birthday party for your grandson, and your kidneys getting better - isn't life good!!

    Thanks for posting and have a super great day!! :)

    ReplyDelete